Goldin Auctions set records for the highest-selling golf and soccer cards during its March Premium Auction, an event that smashed several records and sold $38.2 million in trading cards and collectibles.
The auction sales total is the industry’s second-highest ever, trailing only Goldin’s Winter Auction, which closed March 7 with $45.2 million worth of items sold.
A 1979 Diego Maradona Rookie Card sold for $555,960, the highest ever for a soccer card. A 2001 Tiger Woods signed rookie card also sold for $369,000, the highest ever for a golf card.
The auction also smashed the record for the highest price for a trading card of Hollywood superstar and former University of Miami football player Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. A 1994 Johnson card, previously owned by producer Timbaland, sold for $81,180, shattering the previous high of $45,100 paid for the same card in February.
Ken Goldin, the founder and executive chairman of Goldin, said the auction is another sign of the momentum of the booming card industry.
“LeBron James, Jordan, Brady, Mantle — those names are always going to be huge fan draws and their cards and memorabilia will continue to command major prices,” Goldin said. “But what we’re seeing now is equal enthusiasm for memorabilia and cards from soccer, golf and wrestling stars, which is something we hadn’t seen in the past. As the hobby continues to open up to a younger and more international audience we’re likely to see more records be broken across sports.”
The auction also set several other records of high-selling items, including:
• 2018-19 Panini National Treasures Gold #127 Luka Doncic Signed Patch Rookie Card sold for $627,300.
• 2012-13 Panini Prizms Gold #1 LeBron James sold for $585,480.
• 2013-14 Panini Prizms Gold #290 Giannis Antetokounmpo Rookie Card sold for $522,750.
• 1957 Topps #77 Bill Russell SP Rookie Card – Ex-Elitecards Collection sold for $399,750.
• 2012-13 Panini Prizms Gold #72 Stephen Curry sold for $271,830.
• 1996-97 Flair Showcase "Legacy Collection" Row 0 #31 Kobe Bryant Rookie Card sold for $264,000.
• 2008-09 Skybox Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems Green #23 Michael Jordan sold for $222,630.
• 2012-13 Panini Prizm "Prizms Gold" #201 Kyrie Irving Rookie Card sold for $199,260.
• 1949 Bowman #50 Jackie Robinson Rookie Card sold for $522,750.
• 1967 Topps #581 Tom Seaver Rookie Card sold for $344,400.
• 1979/80 O-Pee-Chee #18 Wayne Gretzky Rookie Card sold for $271,830.
• 2002-03 Panini Futebol Portugal #137 Cristiano Ronaldo Rookie Card sold for $236,160.
• 1997 Panini WWF Superstars Stickers #113 Rocky Maivia (The Rock) Rookie Card sold for $34,440.
Goldin Auctions is actively accepting consignments for its Monthly Card Auctions and Goldin Elite Auction. To inquire about consigning items, email firstname.lastname@example.org.