Though some modern sports card are starting to experience a dip in price and value, don’t count the cards of NBA star Trae Young and NFL quarterback Justin Herbert in that group.
A 2018 Panini Prizm Trae Young rookie card sold for a record $400,900 during Goldin’s Summer Auction over the weekend. The card, a 1/1 Choice Prizm Nebula Parallel, was graded a GEM MT 10.
The young card was one of several cards that set records during Goldin’s Summer Auction, including a Justin Herbert rookie card, a UFC Conor McGregor card and the 1980-81 Larry Bird/Magic Johnson rookie card.
Two pieces of unique memorabilia from Shoeless Joe Jackson and a 1962 Warriors/Knicks games also brought impressive prices.
Other record-setting sales include:
• A Justin Herbert rookie card, graded NM-MT 8, sold for $234,930, an all-time record for any publicly sold Justin Herbert card.
• A 2021 Panini Prizm UFC card of Conor McGregor, graded GEM MT 10, also set an all-time record for any UFC Gold Prizm card, selling for $27,060.
• A combination Magic Johnson & Larry Bird rookie card, graded PSA GEM MT 10, sold for $861,000, an all-time record for this card.
Thomas Newman Collection: How passionate collector amassed record collection
• A 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card, graded SGC NM+ 7.5, sold for $319,800.
• A 1933 Goudey Babe Ruth card, graded PSA NM-MT 8, sold for $344,400.
• A signed drivers license from “Shoeless” Joe Jackson sold for $125,460
• An "Exquisite Collection" Michael Jordan Signed Game Used Patch Card, graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10, sold for $523,980, an all-time record for the card.
• An Upper Deck Michael Jordan/LeBron James Signed Game Used Patch Card, graded PSA Authentic PSA/DNA 10, sold for $319,800.
• A 2019 Topps Chrome Autographs Superfractor Fernando Tatis Jr. Signed Rookie Card, graded PSA GEM MT 10, sold for $174,660.
• A 1986/87 Fleer Michael Jordan Rookie Card, graded PSA GEM MT 10, sold for $319,800.
• A 2003 UD Glass Kobe Bryant/Michael Jordan autograph Gem MT 10 card sold for $185,730, an all-time record for the card.
• A 2019 Topps Chrome Superfractor Erling Haaland card, graded PSA 9, sold for $185,730, the second-most expensive Erling Haaland card of all-time.
• A ticket to the 1962 Warriors / Knicks game, where Wilt Chamberlain scored over 100 points, sold for $87,330, an all-time record for any basketball ticket.