PWCC’s latest monthly auction could be another good indicator of where the demand for modern sports card has settled during the latest downturn in the market.
The October Premier Auction at PWCC Marketplace, which opened Oct. 6 and runs through Oct. 20, features three of the top modern cards in each of the three major sports among more than 400 lots.
The auction features the top rookie cards for Tom Brady, LeBron James and Mike Trout, three megastars who have dominated the modern card market in the past two years.
Brady’s 2000 Playoff Contenders Championship Ticket Rookie Auto, which is numbered to /100 and graded BGS 9, is one of only seven with that grade with none being graded higher. Only two verified sales of the card in that grade have occurred since 2020 — one in a public auction and one reported privately — with both selling for more than $3 million.
The LeBron 2003 Exquisite Collection Rookie Patch Auto card, numbered to /99 and graded PSA 8 with an auto grade of 10, appears only six times in the PSA/DNA population report. Only two copies have been graded higher than PSA 8.
A PSA 9 parallel version of the card is tied for fourth on the all-time sports card list, selling for a then-record $5.2 million in 2021.
Trout’s 2009 Bowman Chrome Red Refractor Rookie Auto, numbered 5/5 and graded BGS 9.5, is the second rarest offering of his most popular rookie card. Only the 1-of-1 Superfractor that sold for a then-record $3.9 million in August 2020 is more rare.
Also See: Top 10 sports cards of all time
Beckett's population count has only five examples of a BGS 9.5 Auto 10, with none graded higher.
PWCC also has an impressive version of one of the hobby’s most popular vintage baseball cards. The 1949 Bowman Jackie Robinson rookie card is graded SGC 9 MINT, a high grade for Robinson’s debut card.
Only two examples have garnered an SGC 9, with only two receiving a higher grade from SGC. PSA has 11 grade-9 copies, with none higher, while Beckett has none listed with a 9 grade.
Other highlights of the PWCC auction include:
• A 2014 Panini Prizm WC Matchups Gold Power Cristiano Ronaldo Lionel Messi /5 BGS 9, the first appearance of the card in a public auction.
• A pair of 1998 Kobe Bryant All-Star Game Crazy 8 game-worn sneakers from Kobe's first NBA All-Star Game.
• A 2009 National Treasures Stephen Curry Rookie Patch Auto /99 #206 BGS 9.5 GEM.
• 2003 Exquisite Collection Limited Logos LeBron James RC Patch Auto /75 BGS 9.5.
• 2018 National Treasures Emerald Luka Doncic Rookie Patch Auto /5 #127 BGS 9 MINT.
• 1997 Metal Universe Championship Precious Gems Michael Jordan PMG /50 #23 BGS 9.
• 2017 Panini Prizm Gold Vinyl Prizms Patrick Mahomes II Rookie /5 BGS 9.5 GEM.
• 2017 Panini Contenders Cracked Ice Patrick Mahomes Rookie Auto /25 #303 PSA 10.
• 2016-17 LeBron James Cleveland Cavaliers photo-matched game-worn jersey.
• 2021-22 Stephen Curry Golden State Warriors photo-matched game-worn jersey.