LeBron James and Tom Brady are still at the top of their respective games and the two sports legends have made hobby headlines with record-setting trading cards this year.
A 2003-04 signed James rookie card is the highest-selling NBA card of all-time and matched the then record for the top sports card of all-time at $5.2 million. A 2000 signed Brady rookie card set the football record in June at $3.1 million — before the mark was broken by a $4.3 million Patrick Mahomes card.
New examples of the two record-setting cards are now up for bid in Goldin’s September Card & Memorabilia Auction.
The signed James 2003-04 Upper Deck “Exquisite Collection” Rookie Patch Auto #78 is graded BGS NM-MT+ 8.5, with a 10 autograph. The record James card, which was sold in a private transaction through PWCC Marketplace, was graded BGS 9. Bidding at Goldin opened at $250,000 and is already up to $660,000.
Online Auctioneer: A six-figure steal for a '52 Mantle
The signed Brady 2000 Playoff Contenders “Championship Ticket” Auto #144 is graded BGS 7 with a BGS 9 autograph. The $3.1 million card, which was sold through Lelands, carried a grade of 9. It opened at $150,000 and is up to $240,000.
The new Goldin auction also includes other premium cards that could bring record prices, including a 1986-87 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card with a PSA GEM MT 10 grade. Fewer than two percent of all Jordan rookies carry a GEM MT 10 grad.
Goldin has also partnered with the New England Patriots to auction an officially curated collection of 30 game-worn New England Patriots jerseys from former stars from 1971-2012, including Gene Chilton, Drew Bledsoe, Kevin Faulk, Vince Wilfork, Chandler Jones, Logan Mankins and others.
“We couldn’t be more pleased to partner with the Patriots to auction this collection of game-worn jerseys that tells the storied history of this franchise,” said Goldin Auctions Executive Chairman and Founder Ken Goldin. “Many of the jerseys come from the Brady–Belichick era, regarded as one of sports' longest and most dominant dynasties.”
Among the other premium cards in the auction are:
• A 2003-04 Michael Jordan/LeBron James Dual Signed Card graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10.
• A 2010 Bowman Platinum Prospects Superfractor Mike Trout pre-rookie card graded PSA MINT 9.
• A 2016 Gold Prizm Patrick Mahomes II Rookie Card graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5 and featuring Mahomes' college jersey number.
• A 2002-03 Panini Cristiano Ronaldo rookie card graded PSA GEM MT 10. A similar card recently sold for a record $230,400.
• A 2018 Panini Baker Mayfield Signed Rookie NFL Shield Card graded BGS MINT 9/BGS 9.
• A 2018-19 Panini Flawless Luka Doncic signed patch rookie card graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10.
• A 2018 Bowman Orange Refractor Shohei Ohtani signed rookie card graded BGS GEM MINT 9.5/BGS 10.