Panini America’s fabled Gold Standard Basketball brand will continue to deliver on key brand tenants that helped the product debut to an overwhelmingly warm welcome when it first released during the 2010-11 NBA season.
Aside from subtle design tweaks and the occasional introduction of new inserts, the Gold Standard formula has remained largely unchanged from those golden early years — and that’s a good thing.
Such consistency has helped the product grow into a perennial hoops-collecting favorite, a lofty status that should remain firmly intact when 2016-17 Gold Standard Basketball arrives in hobby shops in late December brimming with the calling-card accoutrements collectors have come to love.
On average, a box of 2016-17 Gold Standard Basketball (seven cards per pack, one pack per box, 12 boxes per case) will deliver three autograph or memorabilia cards. Highlights include:
- One Rookie Jersey Autograph per box on average; look for Single, Dual, Triple and Jumbo versions numbered from 199 all the way down to one.
- Solid Gold returns featuring cards printed on 14K gold.
- The rare and resplendent Bullion Brand Tags insert features NBA Logo laundry tags from some of the NBA’s biggest stars, numbered to only one.
- Several on-card-autograph inserts are included: Golden Graphs, 14K Autographs, Rookie Jersey Autographs Jumbo and Gold Standard Autographs.
- Limited to the Atomic Number for Gold, 79, the on-card autographs in the AU insert feature the biggest names in the game today.
- Variations cards, a Gold Standard brand staple, returns, featuring players in both college and prior-team NBA jerseys.
- The Newly Minted Memorabilia insert features memorabilia pieces from the top names from the 2016 NBA Draft.