From Honus Wagner to Mickey Mantle to Barry Bonds, SCP Auctions’ Fall Premier Auction featured the sale of sports memorabilia items spanning nearly 100 years of baseball history.
Topping the auction was a 1909-11 T206 Honus Wagner graded PSA Authentic. Considered the Holy Grail of sports collectibles, the card sold for more than $1.1 million.
The auction, which closed on Oct. 30, featured more than 1,200 lots and set more than two dozen records, with sales totaling $5.6 million.
Among the other top sellers was Bonds’ 500th home run ball, which led memorabilia sales with at $303,277.
Among the record-setting cards were: a 1968 Topps Mickey Mantle (PSA Gem Mint 10), which sold for a record $214,579; a 1961 Topps Billy Williams rookie card (PSA 10), which sold for $92,086; a 1961 Topps Frank Robinson All Star (PSA Gem 10) that went for $89,934; and a 1961 Topps Stan Musial (PSA 10) that brought $79,709.
“The sports memorabilia market is on fire, as evidenced by the world records we set last night,” SCP President David Kohler said. “From high-end graded cards to the best of sports memorabilia, the results of our Fall Premier Auction are astonishing.”
Another record-setting card was a SGC Gem Mint 10 version of a 1980 Topps Larry Bird-Julius Erving-Magic Johnson rookie that sold for $227,856, a record for an SGC example of the card.
Among the other top-selling items in the auction were:
• Affirmed's 1978 Triple Crown Trophy presented to HOF trainer Laz Barrera and signed by Jockey Steve Cauthen for $150,391
• Mel Daniels' ABA All-Star uniforms — 1974 jersey #34 & 1972 shorts — $135,966
• 1910 Christy Mathewson single-signed baseball — signed at first game of World Series — for $100,100
• 1961 Topps #417 Juan Marichal Rookie card (PSA 10) for a record $75,205
• Roger Peckinpaugh game-worn 1918 New York Yankees road uniform with WWI Memorial Armband for $75,205
• 1961 Topps #578 Mickey Mantle All Star (PSA 10) for a record $73,409
• 1949 Bowman #84 Roy Campanella Rookie card (PSA 9) for a record $66,734
• 1933 Goudey #106 Napoleon Lajoie (PSA VG+ 3.5) for a record $55,068
• 1998 Mark McGwire game-used, signed and inscribed Adirondack bat from his record 70-home run season for a record $49,555
• 1920 Babe Ruth first New York Yankees appearance Underwood & Underwood, 7-by-9 1/2 photo for $48,871
• 1972 Topps #595 Nolan Ryan (PSA GEM 10) for a record $42,955
• 1971-74 John Beasley Utah Stars game-worn white uniform with stirrups for $40,954
• 1970 Pele Brazil match-worn and signed shirt from Brazil vs. Austria April 29, 1970 for $39,049