The “big four” cards from the famous T206 Sweet Caporal baseball card set from 1909-11 highlights the March auction at Mile High Card Co.
The auction is highlighted by the famous “All-Star Cafe” Honus Wagner card (PSA 1) once owned by and stolen from actor Charlie Sheen. The “big four” also includes a rare T206 Joe Doyle N.Y. Nat'l Hands Up card (PSA 2 GOOD).
The Wagner and Doyle cards are part of a T206 set break-up that also includes a T206 Sweet Caporal 30/350 Eddie Plank (PSA AUTHENTIC) and a T206 Piedmont 25/150 Sherry Magee Error "Magie" (SGC AUTHENTIC).
The iconic cards are expected to set records in the Mile High auction, which also features another T206 near-complete set without the “big four” that ranks #12 on the PSA Set Registry.
The T206 cards and sets are one of several rare vintage sets in the auction.
“In addition to our usual selection of world-class cards and memorabilia, we’ve acquired a collection that incorporates virtually every mainstream baseball and football card set from the turn of the century to the 1980s. Some of these cards haven’t seen a public sale in many years,” said MHCC President and CEO Brian Drent.
The auction begins on Thursday, March 10 and runs through March 31.
In addition to the pair of T206 sets, other featured complete and near-complete sets include:
• 1911 T205 Gold Border Near-Complete Master Set (all graded).
• 1887 N28 Allen & Ginter (Baseball) Complete Set (#13 on PSA Set Registry).
• 1912 T202 Hassan Triple Folder Near Complete Set (129/132) (completely graded).
• 1915 Cracker Jack Near-Complete Set (174/176) (completely PSA graded, #8 on PSA Set Registry).
• 1916 M101-4 Sporting News Near-Complete Set (198/200) (SGC graded).
• 1933 and 1934 Goudey baseball sets.
• 1935 Goudey "Master" Complete Set of 114 Cards encompassing each reverse puzzle variation.
• 1939-41 Play Ball baseball sets.
• 1948 Leaf Baseball Near-Complete Set (97/98) (all PSA/SGC Graded).
• 1958 Topps Baseball Master Set #4 (currently finest on PSA Set Registry.
• 1955 Topps All American Football Master Set (#9 on PSA Set Registry, 7.929 GPA).
• 1924 V145-2 Complete Set (completely PSA graded, #2 on PSA Set Registry).
• 1951 Topps Ringside Complete Set (all PSA graded, #9 on PSA Set Registry).
Among the iconic individual cards being offered are:
a 1916 Sporting News Babe Ruth RC PSA 4; #87 Joe Jackson Blank Back SGC 6.5 EX/MT+; 1915 Cracker Jack #30 Ty Cobb PSA 4; 1915 Cracker Jack #103 Joe Jackson PSA 3; 1933 Goudey #106 Napoleon Lajoie SGC 5; 1948 Leaf Jackie Robinson PSA 6; 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle SGC AUTHENTIC; and the breakup of a 1911 T3 Turkey Red set.
The auction also features rare, vintage cards of such iconic stars as Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, Pete Rose and Reggie Jackson, as well as football’s Joe Namath and Johnny Unitas.
Top modern cards feature rare cards from such legends as Mike Trout, Michael Jordan and Tom Brady.
Among the game-used memorabilia is a 1929-30 Babe Ruth Professional Model H&B Louisville Slugger Game-Used Bat (PSA/DNA GU 9) with provenance indicating it was used for three home runs and a 1984 Chicago Bulls full game ticket from Michael Jordan’s rookie season.