Mickey Mantle’s notorious 1972 signed and handwritten “lewd” New York Yankees questionnaire sold for $242,789 to highlight the Lelands 2022 Fall Classic Auction.
Yankees players were asked in 1972 to share in writing their favorite Yankee Stadium experiences for the 50th anniversary celebration of Yankee Stadium in 1973. Mantle did not recall an on-field moment or anything about baseball. Instead, he wrote a lewd description of a fictional sexual experience he said he had with a female fan in the right field bleachers during a game.
For more on the letter, click here. (WARNING: The letter and descriptions of the letter include graphic and lewd content.)
The auction also featured a “Mean” Joe Greene Steelers game-worn jersey from the team’s 1975 Super Bowl-winning season that sold for $60,043.
Other auction highlights included:
• Mickey Mantle 1957-58 Yankees game-used helmet ($51,868).
• A Frank Robinson 1966 Orioles game-worn jersey from his MVP, Triple Crown and World Championship season ($50,400).
• A rare 1959 Yoo-Hoo Mickey Mantle PSA 4 ($49,398) card.
• A Rickey Henderson 1979 Athletics rookie signed game-worn jersey ($35,828).
• A Phil Rizzuto 1955 World Series game-used, signed bat PSA 10 ($32,497).
• A Babe Ruth single-signed baseball ($32,497).
• A signed 1955 Topps Jackie Robinson card ($30,168).
• A 1930s Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig dual-signed baseball ($23,432).