One of the finest examples of Roberto Clemente’s rookie card to hit the market and a six-figure Steph Curry card, which both could top $1 million, highlight PWCC’s Sept. Premier Auction.
The 1955 Topps Roberto Clemente #164 rookie card is graded PSA 9 and carries a gold sticker from Mike Baker Authentication. Only 11 copies of the iconic card have been graded PSA 9, with only one PSA 10 in existence.
Also See: PSA reopens Bulk service
According to PWCC, a PSA 9 version of the card has sold at public auction only five times since July 2015. The last one sold in March 2021 for $1,107,000, a record for any Clemente card.
The 2009 National Treasures Stephen Curry Rookie Patch Auto card, numbered to /25 and graded BGS 9.5, could also push the $1 million mark. Two versions of the card, both numbered to /99, sold at auction this year for $720,000, a record for the card.
The gold parallel numbered to /25 has hit the market just three times this year, with the last BGS 9.5 selling for a record $840,000.
The auction also features three “exquisite” Michael Jordan cards from the 2003 Upper Deck Exquisite Collection.
The lot includes a 2003 Exquisite Emblems Of Endorsement Michael Jordan Patch Auto numbered to /15 and graded BGS 9; a 2003 Exquisite Noble Nameplate Michael Jordan Patch Auto numbered to 10/25 and graded PSA 10; and a 2003 Exquisite Collection Number Pieces Michael Jordan Patch Auto numbered to /23 and graded BGS 9.5.
Also available are rare vintage cards of three other legendary athletes, including:
• A 1957 Topps Bill Russell rookie, graded PSA 8. Only three examples exist with a higher grade.
• A 1914 Cracker Jack Christy Mathewson, graded SGC 3 VG. SGC has graded 27 copies of the card with only four earning a higher grade.
• A 1933 Blue Bird Babe Ruth Front View, graded PSA 8.5. Blue Bird, a soda company, produced two Ruth cards — this issue and a side view of him swinging a bat. PSA has graded 29 copies and the PSA 8.5 is tied for the highest example. Since 2008, only 23 Blue Bird Babes have come to auction.
Other auction highlights include:
• A 2003 Topps Chrome Gold Refractor LeBron James rookie (PSA 9).
• A 2003 Topps Chrome Xfractor LeBron James rookie (BGS 10 PRISTINE).
• A 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie (PSA 10).
• A 2000 Fleer E-X Essential Credentials Future Tom Brady rookie (PSA 9).
• A 2017 National Treasures Patrick Mahomes Rookie Patch Auto (BGS 9.5).
• A 2020 Immaculate Collection Luka Doncic Logoman Patch Auto 1/1 (BGS 8)
• A 1977 Futbol Discs Argentina Juniors Diego Armando Maradona rookie (PSA 7).
The auction, which opened Sept. 8 and runs through Sept. 22, features more than 400 assets across all sports.
You Also Might Like: Derek Jeter a partner in new card, grading company