SCP Auctions announced their upcoming auction will include Olympic athlete Jesse Owens’ 1936 Olympic gold medal, Boston Red Sox outfielder Shane Victorino’s grand slam home run ball from Game 6 of the 2013 ALCS and prominent items from Jackie Robinson, Goose Gossage and Warren Moon. The auction opens Nov. 20 and closes Dec. 7 at www.SCPAuctions.com.
“SCP Auctions is privileged to handle an item of such profound historical importance,” said Dan Imler, vice president of SCP, speaking of Owns' medal. “Jesse Owens is not only remembered for his incomparable feats in the Olympic arena in Berlin, but for his unrelenting character in the face of oppression and his indomitable spirit that continues to inspire millions of people throughout the world. It leaves one nearly speechless to behold this medal. It survives as one of the world’s most poignant symbols of triumph.”
Owens’ 1936 Olympic gold medal, with its in-depth history and captivating provenance, is expected to set a record for Olympic memorabilia, as it could sell for upward of $1 million. Amidst all of the political turmoil in Germany presided over by Adolph Hitler, Owens captured four gold medals (the 100 meter, the long jump, the 200 meter and the 400-meter relay) and broke two Olympic records. Unidentifiable to a specific event, it is the only documented example among the four originals awarded to Owens. He gifted the medal as a token of gratitude and friendship to the legendary dancer and movie star Bill “Bojangles” Robinson after Robinson helped Owens find work in the entertainment field in the years following his Olympic triumph. The medal is being sold by the estate of Robinson’s late widow, Elaine Plaines-Robinson.
Also, Victorino’s grand slam home run ball from the 2013 American League Championship Series Game Six will be a part of the fall auction. Nick Wood, a 23-year old University of Rhode Island student and lifelong Red Sox fan from Westborough, Mass., has enlisted the help of SCP Auctions to sell the ball that propelled Boston to a 5-2 victory over the Detroit Tigers and clinch a spot in the World Series.
Other prominent collections that will be a part of the auction include:
The Jackie Robinson Private Collection
This private collection of Jackie Robinson memorabilia includes several prominent items that were formerly displayed at the National Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, N.Y.:
• 1955 World Series H&B professional model game-used bat
• 1949 H&B game-used Bat – One of only two known from his historic National League MVP season
• Single-signed OAL (Cronin) baseball – Highest graded Robinson single-signed ball in the hobby.
Goose Gossage Personal Collection
Hall of Fame pitcher Goose Gossage is well known for his fastball and his ability to save a game. Gossage pitched for nine different teams during his career, spending most of his time with the New York Yankees and the San Diego Padres. He helped the Yankees to win the World Series in 1978 and he pitched in nine All-Star games. Gossage’s collection includes:
• 1978 New York Yankees World Series Champions Ring
• 2008 National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Ring
• 1978 New York Yankees World Series Trophy
• 2008 National Baseball Hall of Fame Induction Plaque
Warren Moon Personal Collection
Moon played in the NFL for 16 seasons and played in nine Pro Bowls. He led the University of Washington Huskies to a 1978 Rose Bowl victory against the favored Michigan Wolverines and was named MVP. Despite being undrafted after college, Moon was persistent and played five years in the Canadian Football League before being drafted into the NFL where he set multiple records. Moon was elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 2006. Items from the Moon collection include:
• 1978 University of Washington Huskies Rose Bowl Champions Ring
• 1990 Signed Jim Thorpe NFL MVP Trophy in Association with NEA and NFL Players Association
• 2005 Seattle Seahawks NFC Champions Ring as a member of the broadcast team
• 2006 Pro Football Hall of Fame Induction 14K Gold Ring
Other notable items in the November Auction include:
• Jerry Lucas’ 1960 USA Basketball Olympic Gold Medal
• Rare and Important circa 1927 Willie Foster Chicago American Giants Negro League game-worn jersey
• 4/30/76 Muhammad Ali vs. Jimmy Young fight-worn robe
• Late 1960s Wilt Chamberlain Los Angeles Lakers game-worn road jersey
• Spectacular Babe Ruth single-signed baseball
• 2007 Boston Red Sox World Series championship ring “A Version”
For a full auction listing, more information on how to participate, visit www.scpauctions.com or call (949) 831-3700.