Goldin Auctions once again set a host of records, as its Goldin Auctions October Legends event generated more than $2.65 million in sales from nearly 1,300 lots of sports, entertainment and historic memorabilia. Not surprisingly, one of the baseball card industry's most exquisite card collections topped that charts, as the 133-card 1939 Play Ball PSA-graded set, assembled by famed collector Jeffrey Gitomer and consigned in partnership with Steiner Sports, sold for a record price of $202,826.
Other record-setting items included a 1959-60 Sandy Koufax game-used baseball glove, which sold for $107,995 and the finest Jimmy Foxx autographed baseball selling for $59,403. Two additional Koufax items also far exceeded pre-auction estimates, as a pair of 1964 Koufax game-worn pants sold for $32,410 and single-signed Koufax baseball from his 1963 no-hitter sold for $16,626. For a look at all of the items, visit www.goldinauctions.com.
'With an astounding 8,500 bids, this was by far our most active auction, as more bidders participated than ever before," said Ken Goldin, founder of Goldin Auctions. "With 20 items selling for in excess of $30,000, there was more bidder engagement in this auction than any other auction I have ever been associated with. We congratulate all of the winning bidders and thank the consigners for choosing Goldin Auctions to offer their historic artifacts."
In all, the Goldin Auctions October Legends event featured more than 400 game-used items, 40 championship rings and awards, dozens of historical sports documents and hundreds of lots of rare cards. Some of the other highlights included:
- Lot #2- The Cambridge Collection - 2200+ 19th century cards in the two original scrapbooks - $89,103
- Lot #10 - 1955 Roberto Clemente rookie game-used bat (PSA 9) - $55,416
- Lot #22 - Super Bowl XLII NY Giants player ring - $54,003
- Lot #20- Game Used Michael Jordan jersey from 97-98 Championship season. Signed by Jordan (previously owned by Penny Marshall) - $52,638
- Lot #138 - 1955-57 Mickey Mantle game-used Hillerich & Bradsby M110 bat (PSA GU-8) - $40,571
- Lot #11 - 1952 Topps complete set of 407 cards - $40,571
- Lot #136 - 1946-48 Joe Dimaggio game-used bat (PSA GU 9.5) - $40,571
- Lot #137 - 1948 Ted Williams game-used bat (PSA GU 9.5) - $37,784
- Lot #3 - 1917 Joe Jackson M101-6 (Mendelsohn) card - $37,784
- Lot #372 - Babe Ruth single-signed baseball (PSA 8) - $36,883
- Lot #21 - Yogi Berra 1955 Most Valuable Player Award - $36,883
- Lot #5 - 1895-00 Princeton Tigers game-worn football jersey - $35,543
- Lot #790 - 1954 Red Heart #2 All-Time finest PSA graded complete set of 33 cards - $35,054
- Lot #153 - 1925-28 Jimmy Foxx game-used bat (PSA GU 8) - $34,348
- Lot #14 - Derek Jeter rookie batting helmet - $27,009
- Lot #15- Derek Jeter rookie game-used bat - $23,676
- Lot #16- 1956 Management contract between Elvis Presley and Colonel Parker - $22,321
- Lot #880 - 1993 Joe Montana's championship game jersey (with LOA from Joe) - $18,913
- Lot #976 - Wilt Chamberlain's 1967 contract with the 76ers - $16,350
- Lot #312 - Mike Trout game-worn high school glove (LOA from Trout) - $15,810
- Lot #61- Game used 2003 Mariano Rivera glove from his 40th save - $14,756.