There is a new all-time high for the iconic T206 Honus Wagner card, the “Holy Grail” of sports cards, and new records for memorabilia featuring NBA legends Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant.
During the first half of its May Elite auctions, Goldin Auctions has already established new records in the hobby.
The 1909-11 T206 White Border Honus Wagner card sold for $3,751,500, an all-time record for any Honus Wagner card and the fifth-most expensive trading card of all time. A 1952 Mickey Mantle card and a 2003-04 LeBron James Exquisite Collection card set the all-time records earlier this year at $5.2 million.
"Every time we have the opportunity to handle the sale of a T206 Honus Wagner card, we know we're in for something special,” Goldin founder and CEO Ken Goldin said. “This is the type of card that reminds collectors why we love this hobby so much. To own one is to own one of the rarest and most significant pieces of sports memorabilia in history."
The May Elite auction also featured the earliest known game-worn rookie jersey from Kobe Bryant. The jersey sold for $3,690,000, an all-time record for any basketball jersey and for any Kobe collectible.
Michael Jordan also made headlines in the historic auction with an autographed NBA All-Star Game Used Patch Card selling for $2,103,300, an all-time record for any Michael Jordan item of any kind.
"Kobe Bryant's legacy will live forever in fans' hearts and in the Hall of Fame and it was truly an incredible honor to handle the sale of his earliest known rookie jersey,” Ken Goldin said. “The fact that new auction records were set by items from Kobe and his mentor and dear friend, Michael Jordan, speaks to how intertwined and important these two legends are."
Goldin's May Elite Auction has already set a new record at more than $50 million in sales.
Other notable sales in an auction that is expected to top $50 million include:
• A 2014-15 Panini "Immaculate Collection" Kobe Bryant card sold for $615,000, a record for the card (LOT #38).
• A 1993 Upper Deck SP Foil Derek Jeter Rookie Card with a PSA GEM MT 10 grade sold for $492,000, all-time record for any Derek Jeter card (LOT # 7).
• A 1996-97 Flair Showcase "Legacy Collection" Row 0 #31 Kobe Bryant Rookie Card sold for $430,500, an all-time record for this card (LOT #29).
• A 1955 Topps Sandy Koufax Rookie Card sold for $369,000 an all-time record for any Sandy Koufax card (LOT #17).
• A 1921 E121 American Caramel "Series of 80" Babe Ruth card sold for $270,600, an all-time record for this card (LOT #12).