The Jim Craig ‘Miracle on Ice’ Collection, featuring Craig’s 1980 Olympic gold medal, the jerseys he wore during the epic victory over the seemingly invincible Soviet Union and the gold medal win against Finland, along with the iconic U.S. flag that was draped over the star goalie as he skated around the rink after the Finland game – the image of which is one of the most enduring moments in American sports history – headline the Lelands.com “The Miracle Auction,” which closes June 17.
The finest Olympic collection ever to hit the auction block also includes the mask worn by Craig during the Lake Placid Winter Olympics, the hockey skates and goalie equipment he used throughout the Games and his goalie stick from the Russia and Finland games, both of which were upsets for the ages and played at the height of the Cold War.
“I’m selling my ‘Miracle on Ice’ collection to ensure a healthy financial future for my children and grandchildren,” said Craig. “I also plan to donate proceeds from the auction to charities and causes that are near and dear to my heart.”
“The 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team’s defeat of the Soviet Union was the greatest upset in American sports history, and uplifted an entire nation,” Josh Evans, founder and chairman of Lelands.com. “We are honored to offer up for auction Jim Craig’s ‘Miracle on Ice’ collection.”
Craig will display and discuss his “Miracle on Ice” collection during a press event in New York City on May 24.
“The Jim Craig ‘Miracle on Ice’ Collection” includes:
• Jim Craig’s 1980 U.S. Olympic Gold medal
• The American flag draped on Jim Craig’s shoulders after the gold medal victory against Finland
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Team USA uniform from the Soviet game
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Team USA jersey from the gold medal game
• Jim Craig’s goalie mask worn throughout 1980 Winter Olympics
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics game-used goalie stick
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics game-used skates
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics game-used goalie pants
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics game-used goalie blocker
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics game-used goalie leg pads
• Jim Craig’s Levi’s jeans and dress outfit worn in the 1980 Winter Olympics opening ceremonies
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics sneakers and Levi Strauss warm-up pants worn during the gold medal ceremony
• Jim Craig’s presentation camera and case used in the 1980 Winter Olympics
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics “National Sports Festival” warm-up suit
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics Team USA winter coat
• Jim Craig’s 1980 Winter Olympics Team USA jacket
• Jim Craig’s personally obtained 1980 Winter Olympics team signed stick
Last summer, Lelands had announced it was offering for private sale the full Jim Craig “Miracle on Ice” Collection, with an asking price of $5.7 million. This auction will offer the collection piece by piece.
In addition to Craig’s memorabilia from the 1980 Olympics, the “The Miracle Auction” will also include a 1937 Carl Hubbell New York Giants game-worn uniform, a 1939 Lou Gehrig National Baseball Hall of Fame bronze plaque, a 1908 Jack Pfiester Chicago Cubs World Champions pin, a Secretariat 1973 Marlboro Cup winner’s blanket, and The Gaylord Perry Collection, among other things.
For more information about the auction, and a full lineup, visit www.lelands.com.