The brochure arrived in a plain white envelope, with the only inkling of what was inside being Legendary Auctions' address in the top left corner. Inside was a 38-page brochure in the shape of a a capital "D".
"D" stands fro "Dreier", as in the Dreier Collection of Chad and Doug Dreier, which will be sold piece-by-piece through Legendary Auctions. This collection is perhaps the biggest and best ever in hobby history, and certainly the best since the Barry Halper days. You can read more about the initial announcement HERE.
As stated in that article, Legendary Auctions said it would start to offer lots from the collection a bit at a time and in a variety of formats. Well, that brochure was the medium to unveil the first eight pieces, available for purchase outright. Let's just say it was quite the introduction to the collection.
Of the eight "lots", five (updated) have already sold, according to the Legendary website just a day after I got the brochure. The first was the T206 Sweet Caporal Honus Wagner, the holy grail of cards, graded PSA 4. According to the brochure, the card was the eighth-best example of this card in existence. This was the only item among the eight that did not list a price. Potential buyers were asked to call for the price. Someone did and someone bought it.
The other sold item was the 1888 Joseph Hall Cabinets Master Set (14, plus five variations), which was listed for $600,000. It would not be a stretch to say those two items totaled $1.5-$2 million.
The other items up for grabs as I type this are:
- 1911 S81/S76 Silks complete sets on an uncut sheet. Price: $300,000
- 1914 H813 Boston Garter Color complete set. Price: $500,000
- Mickey Mantle's 1963 NY Yankees game-worn home jersey. Price: $300,000 (updated: sold)
- Sandy Koufax 1960 L.A. Dodgers signed game-worn home jersey. Price: $200,000
- The most complete collection of 1898 Cameo Pepsin Gum Pins (109, with the 16 HOFers). Price: $300,000 (updated: sold)
- 1952 Topps No. 311 Mickey Mantle SGC 80 EX/NM 6, owned by The Mick himself. Price: $50,000. (updated: sold)
As you can see, this is a nice mix, offering early rarities and appealing to the rabid Mantle fan base. To inquire about these items, call Doug Allen at (708) 889-9380 or CLICK HERE.
Can't wait to see what's offered next from this amazing collection. It's a great way to kick off the New Year.
Have a safe and happy one, everybody.