Game-used jerseys collectors will wants to hone in on the upcoming SCP Auctions sale slated for April 30-May 17. One of the integral components of the auctions will be the estate collection of Delbert Merkel, one of the foremost collectors in that category.
"Driven by his unbridled love for the game itself, Delbert’s interest in acquiring the finest quality baseball jerseys from some of the game’s greatest legends, preceded the evolution of the modern, large-scale memorabilia market by decades," SCP Auctions said in a press release. "Delbert’s diligence, resourcefulness and engaging personality enabled to him to amass a museum caliber collection beginning long before the Internet-age simplified such pursuits.
"Delbert’s reputation for knowledge, experience and integrity made him one of the most admired collectors of all-time. His standards for quality and authenticity created an invaluable and lasting pedigree that endures with every jersey that ever qualified for inclusion in his esteemed collection."
Some of the highlighted jerseys include those worn by Hank Aaron, Wrren spahn, Bob Gibson, Steve Carlton, Mickey Owen, Elroy Face and Pete Rose, along with jerseys dating back to the 1920s.
Some are pictured here; others are listed below:
- 1946 Nels Potter St. Louis Browns game-worn home jersey and pants
- 1955 Bob Oldis Washington Nationals game-worn road Jersey
- 1956 Hal Smith Baltimore Orioles game-worn home uniform
- 1958 Frank Howard Los Angeles Dodgers (Rookie Year) game-worn home jersey
- 1960 Joe Adcock Milwaukee Braves game-worn home jersey
- 1962 Sherman Jones New York Mets (Inaugural Season) game-worn road jersey
- 1975 Bob Gibson St. Louis Cardinals game-worn warm-up jacket
- 2001 Derek Jeter New York Yankees game-worn home jersey.
For more information, visit www.scpauctions.com.