Mickey Mantle’s first Hillerich & Bradsby professional model bat from an order placed in 1950, possibly his first bat ever used as a Yankee, sold for $242,209 to top the bidding in SCP Auctions’ 2015 Spring Premier which concluded early on April 26.
A game-worn and autographed Mantle 1952 New York Yankees home jersey was next in line, selling for $227,856. In total, the auction of more than 1,300 sports memorabilia items brought in $4.1 million.
“Coveted sports artifacts used and worn by Mickey Mantle continue to thrive in the sports memorabilia market,” said SCP Auctions Vice President Dan Imler. “The impressive winning bids on these particular items are testament to Mantle’s undying allure.”
Other top lots included a complete 1957 Topps baseball card set ($207,142), John Wooden’s circa 1970’s UCLA coach’s worn jacket ($103,579) and a pair of 1984 Michael Jordan game-worn and signed Nike Air Shoes from his rookie season ($71,550).
Part 3 of The Delbert Mickel Estate Collection of Important Baseball Jerseys brought in $363,977, led by the sale of a game-worn Stan Musial 1963 St. Louis Cardinals complete uniform for $73,408 from his last season in the majors.
The Tony Gwynn Estate Collection fetched $214,090, a portion of which will go toward the Tony and Alicia Gwynn Foundation (www.tag2.org), while the personal collection of NFL Hall of Famer Rod Woodson took in a total of $163,570, led by the sale of his 2009 NFL Hall of Fame ring, which went for $25,076.
Other highlights from the auction included:
- 1973 Hank Aaron Atlanta Braves Game-Worn Home Jersey and ’74 Pants - $50,061
- 1909-11 T206 Baseball Near Set (517/523) - $44,427
- Steve Carlton’s 1987 Minnesota Twins World Series 10K Gold Ring - $44,427
- 1926 New York Yankees A.L. Champion Team-Signed Baseball - $41,435
- 1958 Robin Roberts Philadelphia Phillies Game-Worn and Signed Road Jersey - $40,388
- 1970 Al Kaline Detroit Tigers Game-Worn Home Jersey - $34,190
All prices include a buyer’s premium. Full auction results are available at www.scpauctions.com.