With historic items from legends like Sandy Koufax, Muhammad Ali, Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Michael Jordan and Mike Trout, the Goldin Auctions 2018 Spring Premium Live & Catalog/Online Auction is sure to get the attention of collectors.
Roughly 629 lots of sports, entertainment and historical artifacts hit the auction block April 9, with 53 premium lots being sold at a live auction April 28 at the NYY Steakhouse in New York City. An additional 570-plus lots are up for bids at GoldinAuctions.com through May 5.
“By offering this historic Koufax jersey, Ali’s most important fight robe, DiMaggio’s last World Series bat, 10 lots of Jordan game worn jerseys and sneakers among the 629 lots, this is surely an auction with the focus more on quality than quantity,” said Ken Goldin, founder of Goldin Auctions. “We look forward to an active month of online bidding and a record-breaking night in New York City on April 28.”
Here’s a look at some of the marquee items:
• 1963 Sandy Koufax game used & signed LA Dodgers road jersey from his Cy Young season (MEARS 9.5 & Beckett) – Koufax donned this classic Dodgers road flannel jersey during that magical summer of 1963 in which he earned N.L. Cy Young and MVP Awards. The Rawlings gray road jersey has a Rawlings size 44 label sewn in the lower left front tail and “Koufax 63” is chain stitched below in blue thread. Koufax signed the jersey above the label in blue marker, adding “1963 W.S. Champs.” For a recent comparison, a 1955 Koufax game-worn jersey recently sold for $667,000.
• 1951 Joe DiMaggio game used Hillerich & Bradsby D29L Model World Series bat (PSA/DNA GU 10) – This bat comes with a LOA from PSA/DNA who have graded this bat a perfect GU10 and an LOA from MEARS, grading this bat a near-perfect A9.5 for the game use as well as the signed letter of provenance from former Yankees batboy Joe Carrieri. Carrieri wrote in his book about receiving this bat from DiMaggio who retrieved the bat from his locker, which still had his effects from the World Series, indicating the bat was in his locker during the 1951 World Series against the Giants.
• 1965 Muhammad Ali fight worn robe from Ali-Liston 2 – Although the fight was a rematch with Liston, it would be the first time Ali would enter the ring under the name Muhammad Ali and as a result he had it proudly emblazoned across the back of the white robe in red lettering. It comes with a notarized letter of provenance from John Pradella who was gifted the robe immediately after the fight by Angelo Dundee and a LOA from noted boxing expert Craig Hamilton.
• 1934 Babe Ruth signed Yankees player contract PSA/DNA - Babe’s last Yankees contract is stamped “JAN 16 1934” on its cover and dated “Jan'y 15th” on the interior signature page. The contract notes his 1934 salary as “$35,000.00.” The contract is signed on the interior page “George H. Ruth” in strong black fountain pen. Co-signing are Yankees owner Jacob Ruppert and general manager Ed Barrow.
• 1929-30 Babe Ruth game used Louisville Slugger R34 bat – bone rubbed (PSA/DNA GU 10) – This fresh-find being offered for sale for the first time dates to the prime of Ruth’s career. PSA/DNA has dated it to Ruth’s tremendous 1929-1930 seasons.
• 1984-85 Michael Jordan game used rookie season Bulls road jersey (MEARS A8) – Offered is one of the finest examples of a rookie Michael Jordan game used Bulls jersey. This size 42 Rawlings all mesh red road jersey comes with a detailed letter of authenticity from the game used experts at MEARS, who have graded this Michael Jordan rookie jersey a solid A8. In all, seven lots featuring Jordan game-worn jerseys and three lots of Jordan game-worn sneakers are up for bids.
The auction is open for bidding at www.GoldinAuctions.com.