A few hours after Oklahoma’s Kyler Murray captured the 2018 Heisman Trophy on Saturday night, a collector paid a record price of $435,762 for Tim Brown’s 1987 Heisman Trophy in Goldin Auctions’ 2018 Holiday Auction.
“We believe this is one of the most significant trophies to ever be offered at auction and collectors agreed as the bidding was fierce,” said Ken Goldin, founder of Goldin Auctions. “It’s rare when a Heisman becomes available and even more unusual for it to be from an NFL Hall of Famer who played at the most storied college football program.”
Here are some of the marquee items and their final sale prices.
• 1910 E98 “Set of 30” Near Set (25/30) #1 on the SGC Set Registry – The best SGC-graded “near set” of the E98 “Set of 30” baseball cards-issued in 1910 and known to hobbyists as part of the famous 2012 “Black Swamp Find” in Defiance, Ohio, being offered at auction for the first time ever. The offered gallery included the 25-card near set graded by SGC, plus nine additional, variation cards. Missing were Jennings, Mathewson, Lajoie, Tinker and Walsh for completion. (Final Price: $171,850)
• 2002 Aston Martin Vanquish Signature Car – 50th Anniversary of the Basketball Hall of Fame – The two-door luxury coupe features a 460 HP, 5.9-liter V12 engine with a 6-speed overdrive enabled transmission. This was not just any old Vanquish that rolled off the assembly line, but the official 50th anniversary Hall of Fame car, a one-of-one car featuring the signatures of more than 50 basketball Hall of Famers. (FP: $78,877)
• Lee Harvey Oswald Handcuffs Used to Arrest Oswald after JFK Assassination – The Smith & Wesson cuffs were originally issued to Officer Ray Hawkins when he joined the Dallas Police Department in 1953. Bearing the serial number “38468,” Hawkins used these cuffs throughout his career and retained them after he left the force. They are accompanied by a signed and notarized affidavit from Ray Hawkins describing his actions on Nov. 22, 1963, and the role these handcuffs played in the capture of Lee Harvey Oswald. (FP: $76,105)
• 1952 Topps #311 Mickey Mantle Rookie Card PSA EX + 5.5 (FP: $59,920)
• 1993 Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl XXVIII Player Ring Dixon Edwards (FP: $44,190)
• 1912 E300 Plow’s Candy Ty Cobb - PSA VG-EX 4 (FP: $40,507)
• 2015 Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship Calvin Ridley Player Rings (FP: $34,370)
• 1962 Topps #200 Mickey Mantle - PSA Mint 9 (FP: $31,915)
• 2018 Shohei Ohtani Game-Worn L.A. Angels 1980s TBTC Home Run Uniform 8/27-28 /18 – This is the first known full uniform ever offered up of the Japanese phenom. (FP: $27,005)
• 1964-65 Carl Eller Rookie Era Games Used & Signed Vikings Road Jersey MEARS A9 & Beckett (FP: $27,005)
• 2003/04 SP Authentic #148 LeBron James Signed Rookie Card (#156/500) PSA Gem Mint 10 (FP: $22,095)
• 1990 Andre Reed Super Bowl XXV Game Used & Photo Matched Bills White Jersey with Reed LOA and Resolution Photomatching (FP: $13,502)
• 1957 Topps Football Unopened Five-Cent Pack PSA Mint 9 (FP: $5,523)
Complete auction results are available at: www.GoldinAuctions.com.