A LeBron James rookie card continues to soar in value, with the 2003 card setting a record at $1.72 million in Goldin Auctions’ April Premium auction.
The record price for the signed LeBron 2003 Exquisite Rookie Patch card was the highlight of a $13.4 million auction, which also included records for cards of NBA legends Wilt Chamberlain and Tim Duncan.
The LeBron card (#09/99), which was graded BGS Mint 9/BFS 10, was the first LeBron rookie card produced as part of the “Exquisite Collection.” The price was a record for that particular card; the highest-selling LeBron card to that point was $1.8 million. A day after the Goldin auction, PWCC announced that it had sold a similar LeBron card for $5.2 million, the highest ever for a basketball card and matching a 1952 Mickey Mantle for the highest selling sports card ever.
“LeBron James is one of the greatest of all time so it’s no surprise that his cards continue to smash records,” said Ken Goldin, Founder and Chairman of Goldin Auctions. “What’s really incredible is the massive enthusiasm that we’re seeing across other sports and categories.”
A Wilt Chamberlain rookie card — the 1961/62 Fleer #8, graded PSA Mint 9 — sold for a record $461,250. The Tim Duncan rookie card — 1997-98 Metal Universe Precious Metal Gems Emerald #66 (#03/10), graded BGS NM-MT 8, sold for a record $223,860.
The auction also featured big sales for other marquee items, including a signed Tom Brady 2000 Playoff Contenders Championship Rookie Ticket card that went for $1.72 million, and a Wayne Gretzky rookie card for $248,460.
Other notable items included:
- 2001 SP Authentic Golf "Authentic Stars" Autograph #45 Tiger Woods Signed Rookie Card (#810/900) – PSA GEM MT 10, PSA/DNA 10 for a record $105,780.
- 2004-05 UD "Exquisite Collection" Dual Scripted Swatches #JJ Michael Jordan/LeBron James Dual Signed NBA All-Star Game Used Patch Card (#4/5) — BGS NM-MT+ 8.5/BGS 9 for a record $124,230.
- 2009-10 Topps Chrome Refractor #101 Stephen Curry Rookie Card (#041/500) — PSA GEM MT 10 for a record $136,530.
- 2004-05 Mundicromo La Liga #617 Lionel Messi Rookie Card — PSA GEM MT 10 for a record $59,040.
- 1986-87 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan Rookie Card — PSA GEM MT 10 sold for $430,500.
- 1996-97 Topps Chrome Refractors #138 Kobe Bryant Rookie Card — PSA GEM MT 10 sold for $270,600.
- 2002-03 Panini Sports Mega Craques #137 Cristiano Ronaldo Rookie Card — PSA GEM MT 10 sold for $209,100.
- 1948 Leaf #79 Jackie Robinson Rookie Card — SGC NM+ 7.5 sold for $159,900.
- 2007-08 Exquisite Collection #94 Kevin Durant Rookie Patch Autograph Gold (#12/35) — BGS AUTHENTIC sold for $116,850.
- 1977 Futbol (Soccer) Discs #11 Diego Armando Maradona Rookie Card — PSA NM 7 sold for $100,860.
- 1996-97 Bowman's Best Rookie Atomic Refractor #R23 Kobe Bryant Rookie Card — PSA GEM MT 10 sold for $56,580.
The auction was another record-setting event for Goldin Auctions, which has already topped more than $150 million in sales this year.