One of the most prestigious awards in American sports has a new owner as Yale halfback Clint Frank’s 1937 Heisman Trophy commanded a winning bid of $312,000 in Heritage Auctions’ Oct. 18-19 Sports Collectibles Auction. Legendary Yankees took the silver and bronze medals in this event, as a 1932 Babe Ruth three-sheet movie poster and a 1941-42 Joe DiMaggio game used bat drew winning bids of $60,120 and $45,600 respectively.
“There were solid results across the board,” said Chris Ivy, director of Sports Auctions for Heritage. “We saw some high-end items rocket past our pre-auction estimates, which bodes incredibly well for our upcoming winter Platinum Night auction to launch the 2019 auction season.”
Game worn jerseys indicated that the gridiron remains a bull market as a 1970s jersey from Dick Butkus sold for $43,200 and Mark Gastineau ended at $15,600. Collectors’ appetites for rare awards were satisfied when Joe Tinker’s 1906 gold “Chicago Champions” medallion and a 2011 New York Giants Super Bowl XLVI ring each soared to $31,200, signaling the enduring strength of the awards sub-genre.
Other highlights include:
• 1920 New York Yankees team signed baseball from Muddy Ruel’s house, the only known example – $24,000
• 1934 Exhibits 4 on 1 Babe Ruth, Lefty Gomez, Lou Gehrig & Bill Dickey signed trading card, PSA/DNA Authentic – $38,400
• 1968 Deacon Jones game worn Los Angeles Rams jersey, photo matched to three separate games – $26,400
• 1996-97 Scottie Pippen game worn & signed Chicago Bulls uniform, photo matched to 12 games and career high points games – $22,800
• 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers team signed Baseball, PSA NM 7, from The Joseph O’Toole Collection – $20,400
• 1939 Babe Ruth signed Hall of Fame Grand Opening First Day Cover, PSA Gem Mint 10 – $16,800
• 1942-43 Stan Musial game used rookie-era bat, PSA/DNA GU 8.5 – $15,600
• 1983 Eric Dickerson game worn & signed Los Angeles Rams rookie jersey, photo matched – $16,800.
For complete results visit www.ha.com.