Some impressive vintage baseball cards highlighted SCP Auctions’ Fall Premier Auction, topped by a high-grade 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle card that sold for $1.2 million.
A 1952 Mantle graded CSG NM-MT 8 sold for $1,253,185, a record for any card graded by CSG (Certified Sports Guaranty).
Another 1952 Topps Mantle graded CSG VG-EX+ 4.5 went for $100,266, while a pair of 1909-11 T206 Ty Cobb cards also set records for their grades.
A PSA NM 7 Old Mill Ty Cobb Bat Off Shoulder card sold for $73,296, while a PSA NM 7 Piedmont 150 Cobb Bat On Shoulder brought $66,632.
Also See: Ranking the Best Baseball Books of 2022
Among game-used memorabilia, a handful of game-worn baseball jerseys did well. The jersey worn by 2022 AL MVP Aaron Judge on opening day of his 2017 rookie season went for $68,482.
The signed and inscribed jersey Shohei Ohtani wore on Jackie Robinson Day in 2022 also sold for $68,482.
A 1972 Hank Aaron Atlanta Braves gamer sold for $55,152, while a Babe Ruth game-used bat from 1918-22 with a PSA/DNA GU 7.5 grade went for $131,821.
Several significant championship rings also performed well, including a 1927 New York Yankees World Series championship player’s ring, which sold for $151,652.
Other championship rings included:
• Jeremy Hill’s massive 2018 New England Patriots Super Bowl LIII championship ring for $91,151.
• A 1978 Muhammad Ali “Three Times World Champ” ring, gifted to him by his longtime trainer Angelo Dundee, for $53,759.
• Hugh Hefner’s 2000 Los Angeles Lakers championship ring given to him by former Lakers owner Jerry Buss for $41,372.
Some rare and historic PSA/DNA Type 1 original photographs also did well, including: a 1919 Shoeless Joe Jackson image used for his 1940 Play Ball card photoshoot, which sold for $59,135; and a 1927 shot of the famed “Murderer’s Row” (Ruth, Gehrig, Lazzeri) for $28,612.
The auction also featured rare vintage baseball advertising displays from the early years of the 20th century through the 1930s, including: an circa 1910 Sure Shot Chewing Tobacco three-panel display for $43,985; a circa 1910 Christy Mathewson Tuxedo Tobacco display for $18,236; and a 1933 Goudey Big League Gum window display took in $15,180.
Other auction highlights include:
• 1918-22 Babe Ruth Game Used H&B Professional Model Bat (PSA/DNA GU 7.5, MEARS A8.5) $131,821
1919 ‘Shoeless’ Joe Jackson Black Sox Original Photograph From His 1940 Play Ball Card Photo-Shoot by Charles Conlon (PSA/DNA Type 1, Resolution LOA) $59,135.
• 2016 Rio Summer Olympics Gold Winner's Medal Awarded to Ukrainian Yuriy Cheban for 200m Canoe Sprint (proceeds to benefit Ukraine war victims) $55,152.
• 1966 Topps Master Complete Set (7.982 GPA) currently ranked #11 on PSA registry) $55,068
• 2012 London Summer Olympics Gold Winner's Medal Awarded to Ukrainian Yuriy Cheban for 200m Canoe Sprint (proceeds to benefit Ukraine war efforts) $41,435.
• 1970 Topps #580 Pete Rose (PSA 10) $31,129.
• Rare 1927 Bustin Babes & Larrupin Lous Barnstorming panoramic photograph $31,081
• 1963 Topps #200 Mickey Mantle (SGC MINT 9) $28,991
• 1908 London Summer Olympics 18K gold winner's medal for golf (last one issued before golf's 100-plus-year absence at Olympics) $28,255.
Bobby Jones' 2019 Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame induction ring $26,701.
• 1986 Fleer #57 Michael Jordan (PSA MINT 9) $26,701.
• 1972 Willie Mays New York Mets game-worn road jersey (SGC Superior/Excellent) $25,076.
• 1957 Topps #77 Bill Russell rookie autographed card (PSA EX 5 & PSA/DNA 9 Auto) $23,387.
• 1933 Goudey #144 Babe Ruth (PSA VG-EX 4) $20,060.
• 1965 Topps #207 Pete Rose (PSA MINT 9) $18,368.
• 1954 Red Heart Mickey Mantle (PSA MINT 9) $18,214.